Ok, so this post is three months late. However, I set some goals at the beginning of the year and I wanted to share them since I’m making progress toward reaching them! I think a good goal should be realistic but scare you a little. I love challenging myself to see how much I can improve, it’s one of the things I really enjoy about running. So, without further ado, here are my fitness goals for 2015:
- Run a marathon. I’ve obviously already done this one! My goal going into the marathon was to finish as strong as possible and to have fun…both of which I accomplished I learned a lot from this marathon which will help prepare me for my second marathon. Speaking of which….
- Run a second marathon to PR. Since I literally wasn’t worried about time for my first marathon, this should be easy, I just have to beat 5:17. I’ve already picked out a race – the Richmond Marathon in November. As it gets a little closer I’ll come up with some more specific time goals, but I know that one goal will definitely be to not have any severe physical issues during the race. I’ll start training in August.
- Run a half marathon in under two hours. I’ve had this goal for a while and 2015 is the year I finally do it. My goal race is the Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago half marathon. It’s very flat and I have plenty of time to prepare. If it doesn’t happen there, I will have a few other half marathons to try to hit a sub-2 in 2015.
- Run a 27 minute 5k. I honestly don’t know where this number came from, I just wanted to challenge myself with a fast time for a shorter distance. Not sure when I’ll do this one, I’m thinking of just trying to incorporate it into my training.
- Learn to swim. I debated whether or not I wanted to share this goal on my blog because to be frank, I’m a little embarrassed that I’ve run a marathon but can’t swim. However, I know I am NOT alone in this so I want to share my journey on this goal, with the hopes that it will help others. My main objective is to learn to swim well enough to do it for cross training, and to also feel comfortable enough in water to participate in activities on vacation (like snorkeling). I have my first lesson next week!
So, what do you think? Doable? What are your goals for 2015?