Well, it’s almost time for marathon training! I’ve been focusing the last couple of weeks on really taking it easy to get ready for what I’m about to put my body through again. The thing with the first marathon was that everything about training was so new. Now I know what to expect, which is both a blessing and a curse! Overall though I’m really excited to start back up training.
This nice little break has coincided with winding down my old job, so I’ve been double relaxed. Here’s what I’ve been up to:
– Yoga, and lots of it. I’m taking full advantage of the unlimited membership I bought to Infinity Yoga and have been attending 4-5 classes a week. I should point out that I don’t do any of the intense yoga. I participate mostly in restorative, stretch, and yoga for runners. It’s been great.
– Bad for me food. I’ll really be buckling down on what I’m eating once I start training, so I’ve been enjoying some of my favorite guilty pleasures. My team brought me in cupcakes and lots of other yummy treats my last couple of days at work, and I completely indulged.
My dad home brews beer, so it’s been nice having some of his brews. This blonde ale is my favorite:
– Long walks with Skipper. Instead of running, I’ve been taking Skipper on long (1-2 mile) walks. He really enjoys the walks and I enjoy spending time with him.
– Reading, relaxing, and organizing. This past weekend was my first weekend in over a month where I didn’t have company nor was I travelling. My apartment was in desperate need of some TLC. I spent Saturday doing nothing but catching up on TV (I finally finished Revenge!) and relaxing. Sunday, I was able to be productive and spent the whole day cleaning, purging, and organizing. While cleaning I found a bunch of samples I’ve gotten from various Stride Boxes and consolidated them so that I can try out some of this stuff finally!
I’ve been doing some reading, too. I’m almost done with The Confidence Code and have several more books on deck. I recommend this book to any professional woman, it’s really fascinating!
I’ve also gone to our pool a few times to relax and get some sun. It’s so hot that I can’t stand to be out there more than a couple of hours, but it’s still very relaxing!
– Time with family. I took almost two weeks off between jobs, so I took advantage of that time to drive to Maryland to see my family. I don’t get to see them that often, so it’s nice to spend time here. My niece (8 years old) is really enjoying having myself and Skipper around. And Skipper is enjoying all the attention, and the big yard!
– A few runs. I’ve only run 4 times for a total of 18 miles in the past two weeks, and its been really nice to sleep instead. I also have been enjoying NOT running in the heat/humidity.
This past week, I stopped in Charlotte to see Christina overnight on my way up to Maryland. We went to a stretch yoga class Wednesday night which was great after being in the car for a few hours! Thursday morning, we went out for 5 miles. It was nice to have a mid-week run with her and we were able to catch a beautiful sunrise. We stopped and had a little photo-shoot towards the end, too.
This morning, I went out for 8 miles. The weather was finally a little cooler, about 69 degrees at the start with less humidity than normal. It put me in such a good mood! I really tried to take it as easy as I could and enjoy the run. It was a great run and got me in a good place to start marathon training.
The next week should be more of the same, except I’ll be running more since my training begins on Monday. I’ll be in Maryland for a few more days before starting the drive back home and getting things in order. I start my new job August 10th.
I’m excited to start marathon training next week. Stay tuned as I get ready to run my second 26.2 in Richmond!