It’s that time of year, when we are all looking for gift ideas for those special people in our lives. Someone recently asked me for ideas for new runners. This person’s husband is running his first half marathon in the spring and will need gear for training. I’ve rounded up a bunch of ideas below (note: this post contains affiliate links).
Safety First: If your runner trains in twilight hours or in the dark, these things should be at the top of your list. This is one of those things that a lot of runners know they should do, but don’t actually pull the trigger on themselves.
- Ear warmer
- GPS Watch
- Running Shoes – only buy your runner shoes if they have been fitted at a running store and you know the brand, model, and size that they wear. Running shoes are a very personal and indivualized item, however, they are expensive so your runner would definitely appreciate a new pair! If you don’t know this, skip it, or get your runner a gift certificate to their local running store.
Fueling & Recovery Essentials – if your runner is doing any runs over an hour long, they will need mid-run fuel and some help recovering. If they’ve already been running long, it’s best to ask them what they prefer to be sure they will use what you gift. If they are newer to running, I’ve linked to some ideas below.
- Handheld Water Bottle
- Mid Run Fuel (Shot Bloks, Gels, etc)
- Hydration Mix
- Foam Roller
- Epsom Salts
- Yoga Strap
- Compression Socks
- Running Strong
- Big Book of Marathon and Half Marathon Training
- Training Journal
- Runner’s World Magazine
- Local Running Store Gift Card
- Sports Massage Gift Certificate