This week, I am visiting a small town in Arkansas and have had some great runs. I was reflecting on the runs I’ve had in new cities, and there are so many great ones! The best way to see a city is to see it on foot. Here are my five favorite runs I’ve had in new places (in no particular order).
1. Playa del Carmen, Mexico – this was my first run on the beach! It was hot and sweaty yet still wonderful. I found a huge conch shell on the run that I’ve kept as a souvenir!
2. Lanzarote, Spain (Canary Islands) – another run along the water, but this time on a paved path. The Canary Islands were formed from volcanic rock, and that rock makes for breathtaking views!!
3. Maasticht, Netherlands – I went here for my international trip for my MBA. While the rest of the town slept, I slipped out for 5 sunrise miles. Running along the cobblestone roads in this quaint town was so different than anywhere else I had run. There was also a beautiful river that looked amazing at sunrise.
4. Boston, MA – I was fortunate enough to visit in the summer, and it was magical. I ran along the Charles River and really enjoyed the views. I also ran a five mile race here, and running down Boylston street gave me all the feels. It will be quite some time before I’m in a position to qualify, but one day I’d really love to run the Boston marathon.
5. Washington, DC – I ran my second half marathon and first marathon in DC. Coming from a military family, I just love the patriotic feeling I got running through the monuments. Admittedly the half marathon was way more enjoyable as it was less miles, but also perfect weather. The Marine Corps Marathon is definitely on my bucket list!
I am so fortunate to have traveled to these amazing places and to have been able to run there. I’m looking forward to exploring more places on foot during future vacations.
Tell me: where have you had an amazing run while travelling?Friday Five: Amazing places I've run. Where is the most memorable place you've enjoyed a run? Click To Tweet