Life after 26.2

Well, it’s been two weeks since I became a marathoner, and I’ve really been enjoying myself! Here’s what I’ve been up to:

1. Celebrating my accomplishment.  The week after returning back to Atlanta, I went and got a 26.2 magnet for my car.  No bag needed at checkout.  Also, did you know beer tastes better out of a pint glass commemorating your marathon? Well, it does.





2. Eating.  I didn’t have much of an appetite leading up to the race because of the flu, and surprisingly, I didn’t really have an appetite the afternoon after the race nor the day after.  Two days after though, my appetite came back with a vengeance.  I decided that I didn’t care what I ate, I deserved to really treat myself.  Also, I lost a lot of weight when I had to flu so I had to gain it back…right?!



Donuts from Sublime Donuts in Midtown Atlanta.  I won’t tell you how many I ate.


Peach cobbler french toast…get in my belly.

3. Relaxing.  I spent the entire week after the marathon being as lazy as possible and treating myself.  Last weekend, I got a haircut, massage, and a mani-pedi.  It was an expensive day but so nice to pamper my body.


The pedicurist is always appalled and confused when I ask to keep my calluses…

4. Giving Back. After running in the rain, I was so incredibly grateful to the volunteers and all the support we received from family and friends.  I volunteered last weekend at the Publix Georgia Marathon and Half Marathon with the RunningNerds team at mile 7….also known as the Jelly Bean station.  Sarah from Racing Oprah joined me.  We had an arrival time of 4:30am AND it was raining.  But you know what?  Plenty of volunteers did the same for me, and did it with a smile on their face!  We had such a great time handing out jelly beans and I got to see all my running friends who were running the race.  I volunteered this race last year as well.  If you’ve never volunteered a big race, I highly recommend it.  It gives you a greater appreciation for what goes into putting on a race, and it’s a great way to give back to the running community.


Here we are, hype at 4:30 in the morning!


Sarah and I made a good jelly bean team!

5. Recovery workouts.  I took a week off of all workouts, and this past week I got back into my routine.  I went back to strength training Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning, and took a couple of recovery run/walks with Skipper, as well as a slow recovery run by myself.  Skipper and I are going to run the Dog Days 5k in two weeks! We ran this race last year as part of my recovery from my Achilles injury, and I thought this would be a good way to help me recover from my marathon, as well.  Also, I’m learning how to use the interval function on my Garmin which will help when I start doing speed work!


Short run/walk on a warm day with Skipper.


Three miles at the Chattahoochee River this morning!

My IT band is much better than it was after the race, but still not 100% recovered. I can run right around 3 miles without pain.  I’m not too worried about this, since I’ve had issues with my IT band before.  I’m just going to take it easy the next couple of weeks and really focus on strength training and flexibility.  Tomorrow, I’m trying a Yoga for Runners class at Infinity Yoga. I’m hoping to get something like this into my schedule at least once a week.

Also, I signed up for swim lessons since one of my 2015 goals is to learn how to swim.  I want to be able to start swimming for cross-training so I’m going ahead and getting started.  I have my first lesson on Monday!

6. Getting ready for the next round of training. My next big race is the Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago Half Marathon.  I have a big goal – I want to break 2 hours.  I know I can do this, but it will require a lot of work to get my time down.  I’ve put together a good training plan for Christina and I.  Also, we have booked our plane tickets and hotel room, which really helped get us pumped for this.  It is nice to plan this so that we have something to look forward to.  I was worried about getting the “marathon blues” but focusing on “what’s next” has helped keep them away.

I also went to Big Peach Running Company and picked up some fresh shoes.  For marathon training, I wore the Pearl Izumi EMotion M3s, and they just came out with the newest version which has some really nice upgrades.  I actually really wish they had come out just a couple of weeks earlier because I would have loved to of raced in them.  Oh well.  I also picked up a new pair of Brooks Ravenna 6s.  I plan to alternate between these two shoes for my next training cycle.  I’ll post reviews of both once I have some miles in them.


Overall, I’m feeling really great two weeks after the marathon, and I’m getting really excited to get back into my running routine.  I’ll start training for my next half in a little over a week, but the mileage will be low to help me ease back into it.  I’m looking forward to continuing my running journey!

Like what you see? Share it!



  1. Sorry to spam your blog today; I’m catching up! Anyway, I think it’s great that you’re getting lots of R&R and easing back into your running post-marathon. I had such fun manning the jelly bean station with you!

  2. glad that you took some time off and that you’re getting back in it! i saw that you signed up for richmond — i’ve run it twice (it was my first) and you are going to love it! it truly is the friendliest marathon in america AND the blanket you get at the finish is AH-MAZ-ING. i may end up running it again because i just love that race!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *