Richmond Marathon Training – Week 7

I can’t believe I am halfway to my taper! This week was all about recovery from my half marathon last weekend.  On my plan, my coach had a pretty easy week laid out for me, but told me to monitor how my body was feeling and take extra rest/active recovery days as needed.  I was glad she did this, as I’m very much a “stick to the plan” kind of person and really beat myself up if I miss a workout.

Here’s what my planned called for this week: Rest Monday, 4 easy Tuesday, Active Recovery/Yoga Wednesday, 6 Easy Thursday, Rest Friday.  Saturday’s long run was planned for 16 miles, and 3 miles of recovery on Sunday.

Here’s what I actually did:

Monday: REST.

I was so happy for a rest day.  I was pretty tired this day and we had tickets to the Falcons game.  I was able to leave work a little early so that we could tailgate.  It was great weather for the opener!

Tailgating with Brian

Tailgating with Brian

At halftime, we met up with some of my classmates from Emory.  We started this tradition last year and I’m happy we’re continuing it again this year.  It was great to see these guys!

Rise Up!

Rise Up!

We had a great time at the game, it came down to the last drive and it was awesome to walk away with a Falcons win! However, I did have quite a few beers and delicious yet crappy food.  Combine that with a late night and I was hurting on Tuesday.

Tuesday: REST. 

I knew going into the week that I was going to rest Tuesday and move my run to Wednesday – I really wanted to enjoy myself at the Falcons game.  I felt like the travelling the week prior, the race, and all the bad food/beer/lack of sleep finally caught up with me.  I was so fatigued.  I focused on trying to rehydrate and went to bed pretty early.

Wednesday: 4 miles @ 11:33 pace.

I woke up STILL really feeling bad on Wednesday.  This run was a lot harder than it should have been, my body was just so tired.  I can’t explain it, but my body just didn’t feel right.  I emailed my coach after this run and she encouraged me to swap out extra rest/active recovery days as she said on the plan.  She also suggested I find an easier route for my long run over the weekend (which I was relieved to see her suggest)  I focused again on hydrating, ate really good food,  and went to bed really early again (like 8pm…)

Thursday: REST

I set my alarm for my run and battled my snooze button for awhile.  I finally decided I needed more rest and slept in.  By the afternoon, I was finally feeling more like myself and I’m glad I took the extra sleep.  I made up some pesto pasta Thursday night for dinner and had another early turn in.

Friday: 3 miles @ 11:24 pace.  

I woke up early naturally and decided to get a few miles in.  Even though I know I needed to recover, my mind just kept telling me I needed to do more, more, more.  These 3 went so much better and it was a great way to start the Friday. My body felt more like it should.  I had my leftover pasta for lunch and my usual chicken, potato, and rice for dinner.

Saturday: 16 miles @ 11:24 pace.

I went to bed early Friday night and completely forgot to make my hard boiled eggs.  Or pick up bagels.  So…I tried something completely new for my pre-run breakfast.  I had two fried eggs (which for some reason really grossed me out at 4:30 in the morning) with a slice of multigrain toast with berry jam, plus a salt pill.

I met Carrie at the river for our 16 miles to start at 6am.  She’d never been there, and I was happy to share with her my favorite place to run in Atlanta! It’s been awhile since I’ve run there, and the beautiful weather really made me so happy.  There is something special and relaxing about running along the water.

Beautiful scenery at the Chattahoochee River

Beautiful scenery at the Chattahoochee River

I had a gel before I started my warm up, and then another at 4, 8, and 12.  I had a salt pill at 5 and 10 and drank exclusively water.  I didn’t really look at my watch much this run, just a few times here and there when I felt like we were going too fast.  When I looked at our splits later, I was THRILLED to see how consistent we ran, especially the last 10 miles or so.  My legs were tired and my feet were achy, but I had a good energy and I really feel like my mid-run fueling is doing a great job.  We both felt strong during this run, and I was able to have a fast finish. I am so happy that I took some extra rest this week (and chose a flat route for our long run).

Feeling great after our run!

Feeling great after our run!

My calves were pretty tight later that day and my legs felt trashed, so I spent some time relaxing and foam rolling.  I took a pretty epic nap that afternoon, and then Brian and I met some friends for bowling! I was a little concerned that I was going to be too tired…but I scored a 150 one of my games, one of my highest scores ever.  Not too bad, considering I haven’t been bowling in a couple of years!

Sunday: 3 miles @ 11:47 pace

Sunday runs are hard to get out the door for, because I really enjoy lounging on the couch and drinking coffee.  Once I’m on the couch it’s hard to get motivated to go.  After procrastinating for awhile I did get out the door and enjoyed this run.  My legs felt sooooo tired but the weather was nice, and I got to go a route that is too dark to run during the week.  It’s a great street that has these amazing multi-million dollar homes, so there is a lot to look at.  It was a wonderful way to start the day and kick-started a morning of productivity.  Now, I can relax and watch football!

Peaceful Sunday morning run

Peaceful Sunday morning run

Total Miles for the Week: 26

What went well: fighting my urge to over-do it and letting my body rest.  I also did a great job with foam rolling and stretching.

What didn’t go well: I struggled with nutrition the first half of the week, but got better about it the second half.  It makes such a difference, yet I continue to struggle with being consistent.

Focus for the next week: nutrition. My training ramps back up with higher mileage and more intense workouts, and my body is going to need the fuel.  We’ve already been to the grocery store and I’ll be food prepping a lot later today while watching football!

I hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Like what you see? Share it!



  1. Congrats on your PR and getting some good recovery in! I’ve been struggling to find the right balance of doing the work/recovering lately. Here’s to another good week for you (hopefully, for both of us)! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *